Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just like email, I can see using the blog for a whole host of possibilities. These do include those from the list: showing student work, peer assistance, teacher guidance and instant news feeds, but there are surely others that I have not yet found. In the beginning, I will start with the survey, chat, class assignments and so on. Once I have developed a bit more experience with blogs, we will move into video streaming, chatting and as many other features as are out there by that point.

Using a blog can make such a huge difference in the classroom. Just as chats, emails and websites have in the past. In teaching 2nd to 8th graders about technology, it is important to expose them to as much as possible. They need to develop proficiency in basic systems, but also be aware of more advanced systems.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    I thought I already posted my response to you, but it is not showing up so I will do it again. It sounds like you are going to use blogs for a multitude of ideas. That is great! I was concerned about how you can monitor blogs in your classroom. Having come from a middle school, I can imagine students using the blog as a free for all forum. They may post inappropriate or off task comments at their will. How would you prevent this from occurring? Also, I was curious if you would collaborate with a subject area teacher on blog topics to help curriculum flow through your courses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    I asked a group of 6th graders toady if they knew what a blog was. I might have had about 5 or 6 that raised their hands. I can't wait to share this piece of technology with them. I'll be anxious to see how it works for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    I agree with you that students if not ready to use should be exposed to different tools.

    I can see a blog working as an ongoing assignment. A place that as students grow they can continue to blog. Similiar to the Kathy Martin, the 6th grade teacher who stated in the DVD that her students from last year continued to use the blog that was established for them in sixth grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Steve,

    I teach 11th and 12th graders. I do think it is important to start them early. There is so much good at their finger tips and this does provide a new world of exploration for them.

    ReplyDelete