Thursday, January 28, 2010

Constructivism in the Classroom with Technology

Constructivism deals with learning and teaching methods. One of the big methods that is used is Problem-Solving. Students are given a problem and then they are expected to figure out the solution and in many cases implement it to see what the result will be. Linking technology to this can be a great marriage. Taking problem-solving education and merging it with technology allows for linking students together from around the world, across the street and in the same room. There are also many applications that have been developed for the specific purpose of conferencing between people of distant locations to provide answers to problems and share information and ideas. Beyond that, students can share real life experiences with certain problems as they may actually be involved with the problem being solved. For example, a student from New Orleans, could have provided quite a bit of information on what was happening when the area was destroyed by a huge hurricane.

It goes beyond just the sharing of information. Students can organize ideas, plan steps to find a solution, and even run a test of the proposed solution to see if it would work. Last week's concept maps along with this week's structuring of lessons to find a solution to an existing problems. In the planning phase, students can use either another concept map or simply outline each step in the process and move along reporting results as they occur. While running this test, students can continue to perform the previous steps to modify and perfect the final answer. All these steps are capable of being done together and shared online or through such applications as Microsoft Outlook or other such office organizational tools.

So, it can be much more efficient, and flexible as the plan remains fluid, but the solution to any such problem must still be checked and rechecked to make sure that it will be operated correctly. Think of a computer program. Years ago, it could only be done by one person, now, they are done in modules and each module can be written independently by a separate individual perhaps in a different language.

Any suggestions????

6 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I like your ideas about collaborating across the world. It is amazing how we are so connected with technology, and students are able to learn from each other. I want to try using Skype in the classroom in order to branch out, but I have not done it yet. I live in an area that was affected by hurricane Rita, and it would be intersting for my students to be able to talk to someone who was affected by something like an earthquake. This would be a great learning experience, and the children would never forget it.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Your point on using technology to link us to other people around the world is a good one. I often forget how important it is to open up my classroom to outsiders. I really think my students would benefit and enjoy activities with other students in different countries or states. I have began thinking of a problem based activity that would incorporate my class and another from across the country. It would be interesting to partner my students with others from across the country using a wiki to solve their problem. Thanks for your insight.

    Chris Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    You and I are on the same page with connecting to others through technology. Have you tried this yet? I just recently bought a wide-angle webcam for my classroom and set up a Skype account for my three math classes. I am now looking for another sixth grade math class to connect with. My hope is that we can give each other high-level "real-world" math problems and have a weekly challenge/game with each other. Maybe you could do something like this in your classroom? If you already are, let me know what type of experiences you've had with it.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like your ideas about bringing your classroom to the outside world. Sharing real life experiences with the outside world is exciting for students to interact with. My example of this are just simple blogs. Just by having someone be able to share their experiences or even their own problem can promote problem solving. I have a caringbridge website that I set up for my son Reid when he was sick, and have kept it going even now that he passed away. From this example, people in general, through technology can share problems, stories, and also use others as a support system too. I thought about sharing this idea with you because you mentioned talking to a student that was in Hurricane Katrina and their experiences. This can be used in a variety of ways connecting students with the outside world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of am following the thinking of the other posts here. I think, if you have not set up a webcam yet, you should get one! Then through a couple of sites, like skype, you could link up with other tech classes or any type of classes from all over the world. I currently teach 7th grade Social Studies and have been toying with the same type of idea. After spending some time studying a region or area, I would like to link up with another class from across the world. Technology rules, and needs to be embraced and not shunned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you linked this weeks activity with one of the lessons we talked about last week. There is a definite connection between concept maps and any experiment type activity. It can be used as a guide or an organizer for the students. Also doing these activities digitally can allow for sharing of information between the various student groups.

    ReplyDelete