Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reflection of Learning Styles and Theory

Throughout this course, I have learned about many different ways to teach and been shown devices to use when introducing students to ways of learning. I have learned that teaching can be done in many ways and each has its own place in a teaching practice.

There are the different ways of teaching subject material from Direct to Indirect Instruction. Another comparison would be Instructional and Learning Theories of teaching. With the direct or instructional theory, students are to follow along with the information presented by the teacher. While this form has its place, it is not the best way for students to learn. Students learn when learning theory takes hold in any classroom. Students learn through hands-on projects and problem-solving techniques.

With the introduction of the Voice Thread, a whole new door of how to employ Learning theory has availed itself. Students have always made PowerPoint presentations for me,. but now they have an extra step that will allow them to take what they have just made and share it with the classmates in a whole new way.

As I said, changes have already started to take place in my classroom. I have the students reply much more on their own direction. One concern is how to set it up so that students do not have to worry about age limits on blogs and such. It can limit whether or not a student can actually do my assignment. Are there any age appropriate ones out there. The only one I have come across is Gaggle.net, but unless they have added blogging, it was only email.

A couple long-term goals that I can look into include, but are not limited to more indirect instruction and incorporating a wider variety of technology tools to create media. My goals are all to expand my students abilities. As I am an exploratory teacher, my students are ones that select my class. In that vein, I want them to leave my school with a wide variety of tools to help them be more successful as they left for high school.

In an effort to achieve these goals, I am using these programs upon first sight with my class. They are loving it. My co-teacher Ms. Parker said she has been to high schools where students show up there with no experience or exposure to technology. In today's society, that is such a shame.

I look forward to your comments and will answer or explain any questions.

Have a GREAT next class.
More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment